Wednesday, October 15, 2008

ten fun facts

1. a monkey almost came into our apartment today. we watched from the window as he ate the papaya peels in our trash. melina said, "it's eating our trash. and it has a penis." I opened the door to try to scare him away just by virtue of my tall presence, i guess, but it backfired. he just sat there and seemed to give me this look like, "oh yeah??" which then scared me. I consequently shrieked, which then scared Melina, which then scared me. we allowed him to continue to eat the papaya peels.

2. we are now gettin around on two wheels: on our "ranger-style" bicycles rented from the coconut man near the grocery store, and on the back of a 1940's royal enfield motorcycle, driven by our irish friend matthew.

3. our bodies hurt. melina has weird hamstring, knee, and other achy, knife-like-pain leg stuff going on; I have fiery hips and something nasty going on with my sacrum. i feel like a marionette with wooden joints.

4. we met a guy from williamsburg today--he's studying yoga at our shala and I believe at one point we were living within 4 blocks of each other.

5. we found a great coffee hut--smoky, dirty, loud, coffee, chai, cookies--where we are always the only women.

6. yesterday we decided to try a different cookie at the coffee hut, and it was a surprise spicy cookie. REALLY SPICY! masala cookie, i say.

7. I made up a song the other day while returning from the produce stand on my bicycle, with two limes in one pocket and two rupees change in the other, thinking: "bikes rule the world!"

if bikes ruled the world
(imagine that)
i'd ride all day long
(i love em love em bay-bey)
black street bikes with spokes
(could it be? if you could be mine, we'd both shine)
if bikes ruled the world.

8. we have a great next door neighbor, carole, who is an ex-painter/printmaker originally from san francisco. she's wildly interesting and has lived a very incredible life. she lets us come over to listen to the debates on NPR, and has saved our drying clothes from monsoon rains more than once.

9. melina made a very successful and hilarious indian joke. the other night we were helping to cook dinner at the shala. melina was grating some carrots, and the girl who is in charge of the kitchen told her to "be careful!" melina said that yeah, she'd better watch out or we would end up with a "non-veg" meal!

10. we love doing deep relaxation exercises before bed with the singaporean couple downstairs. we haven't mentioned the cockroaches, and neither have they.

1 comment:

wren said...

I was recently punched by a monkey. It jumped out of a tree, punched me, knocked the food out of my hand and gave me that same look. It then proceeded to eat the food in a tree nearby refusing to share with any of the other monkeys who went after him for it.