Wednesday, October 8, 2008

it's funny

Back in the states, no one can figure out Melina's name. Common interpretations/variations:
Malena
Milena
Malana
Melissa
Alana
Melita
Malika
And back in the states, my name's as common as something that is very common.

But here in India, the name Melina is understood immediately, even celebrated--we've heard there's an Indian celebrity with the same name. This means that we use her name for food orders, hotel reservations, and the semi-obligatory introductions to eager passerby.
The name Kate is feared and looked upon with vague disgust. Various interpretations/variations:
Cage
Kale
Kelly

The guy that thought my name was Cage said that he was very scared of me because he didn't want to be locked inside a cage. I then corrected him, and after that he was very excited to learn that I was "named after" the girl from Titanic, Kate Winslet.

No comments: